Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Why another blog?

Here's the thing, I love writing.  I have another blog that I use to deal with my mental health issues and how I work through that in my days.  It turns out, I really want to write about more than my struggles and successes in that department. 

Random Ramblings seemed the best name for it as I am not sure I want to pigeon hole my thoughts to any one topic.  I am in the midst of the "rodeo lull" and also dealing with a post-concussion recovery that is taking it's sweet time, so what better time to come up with some topic to blog about?  

Let me introduce myself, I am a damn-near 40 year old mom of 2 with a supportive, but equally crazy husband.  We live on a ranch, raise quarter horses, hold down two full time jobs AND I run a holistic healing business on the side when I can fit it in (which is less and less lately).  Some days, I think I pass myself coming and going, never mind the rest of the family.  Our 17 year old son is a cowboy to the core.  Since he was little, we wanted to bull ride, now as he nears adulthood, his aspirations are shifting somewhat to ranching cowboy instead (that's ok by me).  Our 14, nearly 15, going on 24 year old daughter is a rough and tough cowgirl who enjoys pretty much anything where she gets to go fast.  They both compete in the Alberta High School Rodeo Association and have also been competing in Central Alberta Rodeo Association (mostly because we like that they are closer to home than the LRA, WRA series).


We often talk about all the things we will do when we aren't chasing the kids around, but to be honest, we both know that we will have a big hole to fill.  This past year, I bought myself a little mare that I am hoping will be a barrel/gymkhana prospect for me.  She is a nice complement to 16.2 hh ranchy gelding.  My hubby loves team roping.  He has been going to a few practices, but it is hard to commit around so many other commitments.

We have cut our quarter horse herd by more than half because, quite frankly, I believe that any breeder of any animal should be working at bettering the breed they are working with and making  true job out of it, not doing a half-ass one.  Due to our jobs, the kids' extracurricular activities AND rodeo, we just weren't getting time to spend with the young ones.  It is sad, but I would rather hold off til we have more time on our hands and if we still want to build ranchy quarter horses that can be used for everything from open showing to working on a ranch and any sport in between, we will take another shot at it.  

Lately, we have been talking a lot of blue-sky talking - you know, the someday, sometime, maybe, could possibly, is a bit on the wild side, stretching the box kind of talking.  We have bounced ideas around from moving far far away and saying to hell with life as is, revamping everything we have here, both talked of going back to school, you name it.  Regardless of if we do it, it's fun sometimes to think outside of the box.  

Anyhow, I won't ramble on too long right now as I don't want to scare anyone off before I finish my first entry, but thought a little intro would be sufficient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment